Saturday, January 12, 2013

Beginning the End

Welcome to my clarity;  
Clarity: Caring for the Mind, Body and Soul.
This is a place to share and grow, where you will find delicious recipes to nourish your being, information relating to health and whole living with a little pinch of me mixed in, while I make my journey to healthy living.

I'm Serenity, and this is your window into my life. Welcome and thank you for joining me!

I started Clarity in hopes that I can share my experiences and bring positive impact to others, just as Angela Liddon's Oh She Glows has done for me. I've been suffering from disordered eating for almost a decade, an alarming number given it's just under half my age. It's yielded some of the most valuable life lessons, and the hardest, most torturous times imaginable for me, and while I've reached and maintained recovery for short periods, and continuously strive for wellness I cannot say I've kicked the mindset to the curb - yet.

 It's already been a year on the rise, a bold statement two weeks into 2013, but I'm actually referring to the year past. January 2012-Present has been an incredible time for me, I've not ever made so much personal progress in such a short amount of time - more on this to come - and I can only try my best to keep the trend. Without further formalities ado, ladies and gentlemen, my first blog post ever!

Lazy Sunny Saturdays

Following an amazing lazy morning with coffee and magazines in bed, brunch at Sunterra Market and a "fruitful" adventure including a mystery fruit in the produce section that had to be bought and examined on the spot (It was a golden passion fruit, neither I or my b had the slightest clue, so you can imagine our shock at opening the fruit to find this strange, slimy mess!:


As well as these mysterious nasty little gaffers:
But don't panic, it's just Buddha's Hand!
The oldest member of the Citron family these weird finger-y fruits apparently don't actually contain any pulp, theyre just skin! Used mostly for liquors and marmalade and $4.99 /Lb I deem them a well over priced joke of a fruit. Not like bananas, now that's something I can get behind. Especially ripe bananas, mmm!

Which brings me to the recipe(s) of the day, big props to Angela for designing these, she is a saint
 I tell you!

Single Serve Banana Bread Batter Almost-Instant Steel Cut Oats!

This recipe is great, a delicious banana bread-y treat which boasts nutritional value far beyond any baked counterpart I've seen, this one will be with me for quite some time. Perfect warm on chilly mornings, or refrigerated for a tasty treat on a warm day (or night, or any time really!) You just can't go wrong here!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup steel cut oats, ground into a flour
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 ripe medium bananas (1/2 mashed and 1/2 chopped(Save some slices to garnish)
  • 1 cup homemade oat milk(so easy, fast and cheap!), or other milk, as needed
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup, divided
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp chopped walnuts, or other nuts, toasted if preferred, for garnish(optional)
  • 1 tsp coconut oil to garnish (optional)
  • 1 tsp nut butter (I used almond) to garnish (optional)
  • Shaved dark chocolate, to garnish (optional)
1. In a blender or processor, grind the steel cut oats and chia seeds into a flour. Remove and place in a medium sized pot.
2. Stir in your milk of choice and increase the heat to low-medium. Now stir in the mashed banana, the chopped banana, and 1 tbsp of maple syrup. Heat for 4-5 minutes, adding more milk if desired and reducing temperature if necessary.
3. Remove from heat and stir in the cinnamon (to taste), a pinch of salt, vanilla.
4. Combine nut butter with coconut oil and warm over low heat or in microwave, until thin.
5. Portion into bowls and top with chopped walnuts or other nuts, 1 tbsp of pure maple syrup and nut butter mix, banana slices and shaved dark chocolate.
6. Enjoy!


I didn't get picture of my result before I mow'd it all down for dinner(I'm weird, I know) in a haste of delicious nutrion-ness, but you can view photos of Angela's original recipe from which this was adapted here!



With the successful satisfaction of my sweet tooth teeth, first break of a new beginning and a (rare) Friday night out on the town behind me, I think it's time to call it a night. Sophie concurs..
Goodnight, world!

No comments:

Post a Comment