Sunday, January 13, 2013

Cookie Monster Sunday Breakfast

Hi Friends,

Today is Sunday, and I've slept in laateee. Hey, it was before noon ok!

After a lazy sleep like that you limbo in a make-or-break mode, do I stay in bed for a few more minuteshours, or do something about this mess?

Luckily today it was the latter, and to kick off the day a couple things need to happen.

1.Wake the mind.
     Your brain requires sustenance to perform it's duties. Provide this with a nutritive breakfast!
2.Wake the body.
     Your body has been asleep for hours, isn't that creepy? Laying unconscious for hours like that?
      Start every day with two glasses of water to activate the internal organs again.
3.Wake the soul.
      While you fulfill the first two needs, enjoy yourself. For me today this means BANANAS! :)

Banana Raisin Oat Cookies
Mmm, look at the chunks of banana, raisin and dark chocolate throughout!
And a vegan cookie the size of my hand?! Yussss!


Ingredients:
  • 1 Chia ‘egg’ (1 teaspoon ground chia seeds or 2 tsp. ground flaxseed + 2 tablespoons water OR 1 egg)
  • 1 cup regular oats
  • 1 cup white flour (other flours will work too)
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup chopped dried raisins
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
  • 1 banana, mashed, leave chunky
  • Dark chocolate pieces(I added a few teaspoons to dry mixture)
Directions: Preheat the oven to 375F. Mix chia or flax egg in a small bowl and set aside. Mix dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl and set aside. Mix wet ingredients in a small to medium sized bowl and then add flax or chia egg. Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients. Stir well and shape cookies onto a pan. Makes 18 very small cookies or about 8 large cookies. I made mine large!
Cook for 10-12 minutes.


This recipe is another adapted from Angela Liddon @ Oh She Glows' Banana Apricot Spelt Oatmeal Cookies. Angela is a constant inspiration to me, in a life where I struggle with disordered eating without the support of friends or family I gain strength and guidance through the glimpse into her mind that is her amazing blog. By the way when I say 'adapted' it's almost always translatable to 'with whatever I had on hand' ;)

While these cookies aren't the healthiest, I think they're fitting for a lazy Sunday morning, with the added benefit of the superfood Chia Seeds! They come out quite like a chewier cupcake/muffin top when made white flour, and they are banana-y delicious! With all this new found energy I'm off to do some cleaning, get a workout and maybe some yoga in and prepare for a nice dinner in with my Babooshka. Tonight I'm serving a dish we're both very excited about, a healthy, creamy, dairy free loaded pasta, again adapted from Angela's recipe. I love this dish and Stef has yet to try it, but loves creamy pastas and integrating healthy eating where he can. Stay tuned for more on this later!

Ciao for now,
Seren . xo

No comments:

Post a Comment